The Altoona Parks Department is over seen by the Public Works Director. The parks supervisor is in charge of daily activities of the department as well as working with parks board members, recreation leagues, and other civic organizations.
The mission of the Parks Department is to maintain, improve, and plan for city parks and trails and to be stewards of the city’s natural resources for the enjoyment and health of Altoona residents.
The goals of the Parks Department are to:
- Maintain and improve the city parks, trails, and facility grounds.
- Plan for and develop future parks and trails.
- Monitor and maintain the health of the city’s urban forest, prairie, and waterways.
- Maintain and develop the city tree nursery.
- Assist other city departments as needed.
The Parks supervisor is Tim Van Wyk who has been with the city since 2000. Please feel free to contact Tim during office hours Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 4:00 pm at 515-967-5203 with any questions or comments.
If there is an emergency in the parks during off hours please call the floater phone at 515-710-7450.
Parks Department Files
- Park Board Agendas
- Park Board Minutes
- 2017 Altoona Residential Tree Program Flyer (109.7 KiB)
- Altoona EAB Info Doc (89.9 KiB)
- Altoona Parks Map (257.4 KiB)
- PARKS GRID (45.6 KiB)
- Preparing For Emerald Ash Borer (1.0 MiB)
- Spring Creek Sports Complex Map (165.6 KiB)