Emergency AFTER HOURS phone number: 515-967-4464
Water Utility Billing Questions: 515-967-5136
New Residents & Deposit:
New residents moving into the City of Altoona need to contact City Hall and give them details, dates, names, addresses, social security number and phone number. At the time of starting service a $100.00 deposit will be required. The deposit is held on file for a period of one full year and then refunded back against the water bill. The deposit will be held if you have received one red tag (delinquent water bill) during the first calendar year and held on file until one full year has passed without a red tag. If you would move out within the first year, or have a deposit on file, it will be applied to your final water bill.
The City of Altoona bills for water, sewer, garbage and recycling on each monthly bill for residential customers.
Water and Sewer Rates:
See attachment below.
Payments can be paid to:
- Altoona City Hall , 407 8 th St SE – office hours are 8:00 am – 4:30 pm – Monday – Friday.
- Night deposit drop box, behind Altoona City Hall , 407 8 th St SE – box is emptied each morning.
- Hy-Vee Food Stores, Customer Service Dept. – accepts payments from the 15 th of the month to the 3 rd of the month, but NOT after the 3 rd .
- Automatic Payment – deducted from checking or savings comes out on the 25 th of the month. – You will receive a $5.00 credit on your next bill for signing up on the automatic plan. Contact City Hall to get signed up!
Delinquent Water Bills:
- Water bills are mailed out on the 15 th of the month, and due at the end of business (4:30 p.m.) on the 3 rd day of the month. Billing period is the month prior to the bills. Example: January 15 th bills are for water/sewer used from the middle of November to the middle to end of December.
- A ten percent (10%) penalty is applied on the 4 th of the month.
- RED TAGS are delivered and a $10.00 service fee assessed if the bill is not paid in full within 23 days of billing date.
- Service disconnected if the bill is not paid in full within 25 days of billing date. Altoona Municipal Code Section 98.12.
- A fee of $25.00 during work hours (8:00 am to 4:30 pm) and after hours $75.00 (after hours, for health emergency only) will be required and the total bill paid in full prior to turning service back on.
- A $15.00 fee is charged for all checks not honored by the bank.
- If the 3rd day of the month falls on a weekend or a holiday, the due date will be 10:30 am on the next business day after the 3rd.
WT – Water
SW – Sewer
GB – Garbage
RE – Recycling (state required)
IR – Irrigation
MC – Miscellaneous
SR – Senior Discount (must meet income requirements)
SU – Storm Water Utility
If water is shut off, a reconnect fee will be assessed as follows:
$25 (8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.) or $75 (after hours, for health emergency only)
Call the Clerk’s office between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
There are irrigation meters available for outside watering usage. This would be an advantage to the home owner who uses large quantities of water from their outside faucet(s).
The cost of the meter is $130.00 plus plumbing permit fee and is installed by a City employee after the plumbing has been completed. The homeowner may do the plumbing if a plumbing permit is issued. (See: Irrigation Meter Handout Below)
Water used is charged at the same rate as your house meter. However, you are not charged sewer therefore reducing your bill by almost half.
Residents planning to leave for an extended period of time may request to have their water service turned off at the stop box (the street). Upon returning a $25.00 reconnect fee will be charged and garbage ($8.40 each month) and recycling ($2.60 each month) billed for the months that the resident was gone. Someone must be at the home when service is restored. Residents may prefer to leave their service on and we bill a minimum billing each month that they are gone and there is no gallons used.
Water Meter Program:
The City of Altoona has an active program for water meter replacement. The meter replacement program is FREE to the homeowner. Currently we are changing out meters with usage of over a million gallons. The old meters are being replaced by Radio Water meters, these meters are the newest in technology and will allow the city to read the meter from within a mile radius of your home. There is no charge to the homeowner for this meter.
Hydrant meters are available for filling swimming pools, new construction, new homes and settling foundations. Cost is $50.00 per month used ($100.00 for commercial) plus however many 1,000 gallons of usage. Pool owners may have the City crew fill their pool one time per season for $25.00 per hour (from 7:30 am to 4:00 pm), plus usage.
LOOK OUT FOR LEAKS!
Dripping faucets and whistling or hissing toilets waste water, even when no one is using them! Toilets often have “silent” leaks too. Here’s a handy way to tell:
Carefully take off the top of the toilet tank.
Put 12 drops of red food coloring into the tank.
Wait 15 minutes. If any red dye appears in the toilet bowl, water is leaking from the tank.
The Average American Family of 4 uses 255 gallons of water a day inside the home!
But only a tiny amount (less than 13 gallons) is used for cooking and drinking. Here are some other ways that families use water. The amount used depends on how long the water is turned on, and whether the family uses water-saving appliances, shower heads, toilet tanks and faucets.
SHOWER: 5-10 gallons a minute
BATHROOM SINK: 5-10 gallons a minute
TOILET: 3-7 gallons a flush
DISHWASHER: 5-25 gallons a load
KITCHEN SINK: 4-5 gallons a minute
WASHING MACHINE: 35 gallons a load
Please call 967-3180 ext. 226 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions on the above information and Matt will be happy to help you. Thank you.
Water Department Files
- ALTOONA RATE STRUCTURE 2016 (6.8 KiB)
- Authorization Agreement for Preauthorized Payments (48.0 KiB)
- Backflow Report (44.9 KiB)
- Irrigation Meters 8-01-08 (32.0 KiB)
- Utility Application Commercial (48.1 KiB)
- Utility Application Residential (47.7 KiB)
- Water Quality Report 2015 (23.9 KiB)