The State of Iowa Department of Transportation directs the county treasurer as their agent to process motor vehicle transactions and collect appropriate fees according to the Code of Iowa. These duties include but are not limited to:
- Transfer of ownership (title transfer) and collection of Road Use Tax.
- Registration fees (license plate/validation fees)
- All types of vehicles (cars, trucks, trailers, motorcycles, truck-trailers, and semi-trailers) must pay an annual license fee.
- Specialty plates issuance.
- Duplicate titles, registrations, and plates.
- Notation and cancellation of security interests (liens).
- Storage of vehicles and Junking Certificate issuance.
Polk County Treasurer Office located at:
CountyAdministrationBuilding – Room 140
111 Court Avenue
Des Moines, IA50309-2298
Walk-in Customers, Mon-Fri, 7am – 5pm
Phone Customers, Mon-Fri, 7am – 4:45pm
24 hour web service www.iowataxandtags.gov
Please click below to be connected with the Polk County Treasurer’s office: