8th St SE Widening
8th Street SE Widening from 7th Avenue SE to Falcon Drive SE
Update Date: 09/21/2023
This project is underway.
- Storm sewer work along the Falcon Dr extension.
- Grading and subgrade prep on the future westbound lanes of 8th Street SE.
- Paving of both Falcon Drive and 8th Street SE.
- Storm sewer pipe installation along 8th Street SE.
- Westbound lane closures between 7th Ave SE and the Sam Wise south parking lot.
- Topsoil stripping and stockpiling.
- Tree clearing within the grading limits.
- Preliminary grading on the Falcon Drive extension.
- Pavement removals on 8th Street SE.
- Import of soil and preliminary grading of the future westbound lanes of 8th Street SE.
This project is expected to take 2 construction seasons, wrapping up prior to the 2024 school year beginning. This project is under construction at the same time as the Falcon Drive Roundabout and Extension project.
This project will be constructed in phases in order to keep the 8th Street SE open to traffic. Traffic may operate under reduced or narrow lanes.
8th St SE and 8th Ave SE Roundabout Construction and the reconstruction of 8th St SE from 8th Ave SE to Falcon Drive SE.
The intersection of 8th St SE & 8th Ave SE and 8th St SE east to Falcon Drive SE.
8th St SE will be widened to four lanes with a median from the 8th Ave SE intersection to the Falcon Drive intersection. A roundabout will be constructed at the intersection of 8th St SE and 8th Ave SE. A pedestrian tunnel will also be included with this project. These improvements are driven by the construction of the new Southeast Polk Middle School to be located just east of Sam Wise Youth Complex.
This project is under construction.
Expected Traffic Impacts
Traffic will be maintained on 8th St SE with reduced and/or narrow lanes for the majority of the project from 8th Ave SE to Falcon Dr. SE. driveway accesses to the south parking lot of Sam Wise Youth Complex will be affected.
Detours will be in place to access both Sam Wise Sports Complex parking lots.
Sidewalk & Trail Closures
The sidewalks and trail along 8th St SE within the project limits will be closed for the duration of the project.