The Streets Department is responsible for maintaining Altoona’s streets, traffic signals, and right-of-way. The department is overseen by the Public Works Director, with the Streets Supervisor in charge of daily activities.
Primary functions of the streets department include but are not limited to:
- Maintain and repair 207+ lane miles of roadway and right-of-way, 28 sets of traffic signals, and over 6,000 road signs
- Perform snow removal on all city streets plus county roads under contract with Polk County secondary roads
- Trim and remove trees on city property and right-of-way
- Operate and maintain all excavation and road maintenance equipment
- Review construction site plans submitted to the city
- Work with the Building Department on building repairs and alterations
- Assist the Water, Wastewater, and Parks departments with excavation, grading, and repair of City utilities and grounds
- Perform concrete paving repairs on city property.