How do I obtain a copy of a police record?

For records requests, contact the Records Division of the Police Department at (515) 967-5132 (press 3 when prompted) or come by the Police Department (900 Venbury Dr., Ste. B) between 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday. It is recommended to call in advance to verify a report is completed and available. Printed case reports are $5.00 (cash or check). Should you need other media (video, photos, etc.), the cost varies. Call for details.

Does the Altoona Police Department provide non-criminal fingerprinting services?

Yes, but by appointment only. In general, appointments are available during the week, with both morning and afternoon availability. The fee for fingerprinting is $20.00 per person (for up to 3 cards; $10 per additional card). We ask that you fill-out your fingerprint card(s) prior to arriving for your appointment. If you were not given fingerprint cards to bring with you, we can provide them. Please schedule your appointment using our app - Fingerprint Scheduling

Is it possible to have criminal background checks on my employees?

No, not at the Altoona Police Department. If you or your employer need a criminal background check completed, state law allows only the Division of Criminal Investigation to do this for you. You may access the DCI website here for more information.

If my keys are locked in my vehicle, can the Altoona Police open my vehicle for me?

Yes, but with the verbal understanding that the department is not liable for any damage, should it occur.

I am going on vacation. Can the police check my home from time to time while I am gone?

Yes!  Please fill-out a Vacation House Check form. After it’s filled out, and submitted, we’ll put you on our special watch list.

Are there any services available if I am the victim of crime?

Yes, there are a number of services available. Polk County Crisis and Advocacy Service may be able to help. For more information you can access their website by clicking here.

Also, if you are the victim or witness of a crime committed by an alien who is incarcerated, you can sign up to be notified by Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) and US Immigration and Enforcement (ICE) when the criminal alien is released from custody. To learn about the program, other services, or to sign-up, click here.

If you are the victim of identity theft or other consumer fraud, there are a number of resources available from the website of the Federal Trade Commission. Their website is here.

How do I apply to become a police officer?

If you’re interested in law enforcement and would like to apply to become a certified peace officer with the City of Altoona, watch this site. We will announce when there are openings and when we can accept applications. Sorry, but we do not accept unsolicited applications.