Rain Barrel Grant Program
To promote storm water Best Management Practices (BMP’s) throughout the city, funding has been allocated to provide a grant program for purchase and installation of rain barrels for residential homes. The Rain Barrel Grant Program allows for reimbursement for costs of the rain barrel up to a maximum of $75 with a limit of one per residential property.
Rain barrels collect and store rainwater from rooftops for watering lawns and gardens. The water captured reduces the amount of storm water running off the property during rainfall events. Because this water is not treated, it should not be used for drinking water.
- Owner/Applicant must be a City of Altoona utility customer.
- Rain barrels previously used as rain barrels or individuals who have previously received a rebate are not eligible.
- Applicant is solely responsible for purchase, arrangement of installation, and payment of equipment.
- Rain barrel must be placed in the rear yard or at the rear corners of the structure. No rain barrels are allowed in the front of the structure.
- Applications must be completed in full; incomplete applications will result in claim denial and/or delay.
- Equipment must be installed prior to submission of application. All grant payments are subject to verification.
- An itemized and dated invoice must accompany the rebate application.
- Applications must be submitted within 30 days of equipment installation unless otherwise authorized.
- $75 maximum reimbursement for a rain barrel. Limit of one rain barrel per utility customer.
- The rain barrel must be maintained for a minimum of two (2) years. All maintenance costs are the responsibility of the property owner.
- Grants may be subject to income tax. Consult your tax advisor for more information.
- Rain barrels may be subject to random inspection.
- Grants are subject to the availability of funds.
- This program is subject to change or cancellation without notice.
Complete the Altoona Rain Barrel Grant Application and attached itemized receipt for the rain barrel. The application can be accessed here:
Rain Barrel Grant Application